Wednesday, October 04, 2006

News on the Wire

A Stanford Professor and his students are working on a potential therapy for gluten intolerance. I have to be proud as this research is being done at my school. I'm not one to root for athletic teams, but I will certainly cheer on Professors that due good work. (Another Professor just won a Nobel Prize in Medicine for his work on genetics with application to treating human disease. Pretty cool stuff.)

The Chemical Engineer, Chaitan Khosla, has been studying the gluten protein and why it takes so long to digest. As you may now, the reason Celiacs should not have wheat is they do not have the enzyme to digest the protein. Professor Khosla are looking into using alternative enzymes that can break the bonds of the protein, which would then allow natural digestion to occur.

It's still quite a few years out, but it'll happen. And then we can all take a little pill when we want that gorgeous piece of Chocolate Cake at a party. On the other hand, I know being GF has made me eat healthier. I'm not sure I want a little pill that would allow me to eat whatever I want.
Check out a profile on the Professor and his work here.

1 comment:

Mike Eberhart said...

That is some crazy stuff! Sure sounds promising. I have read other articles about this type of thing, and they are certainly interesting.